Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Farewell - "CSA In The USA"

Earlier this month, my girlfriend and I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and this past weekend, we had a tour of the facilities. For a few hours a month of volunteer time and a few bucks a week, we'll be able to enjoy fresh, locally grown food every week until next fall.

My taste buds and stomach are smiling at the prospect of receiving fresh, local produce that I had a hand in growing, but the best part is that I'll know exactly where my food came from. In her amazing book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, author Barbara Kingslover talks about how most of us have no clue where our food actually comes from.

Of course, I'm among those who think that food comes from a well-lit grocery aisle, which is one of the reasons I joined the CSA, but after last weekend's tour, I'm more than ready to get my fingers muddy.

Have any of your joined a CSA? How have your experiences changed your ideas about food?

No comments:

Post a Comment