Friday, March 26, 2010

Apps In The Cradle

DotLoop's Chief Technology Officer, Matt Vorst, handed me his copy of Fast Company this morning and thought I might be interested in the cover article about the smart phone revolution.

The article discusses how kids are becoming more and more in-tuned with technology and starts by detailing the smart phone habits of Eliana and Gemma Singer, who are both three years old.

I found it fascinating, if only because I have a three-year old niece who is just the same and always seems tethered to both her stuffed giraffe toy and some sort of tech toy, as if she's a link between the analog world and the digital abyss.

Of course, the article seems even more timely as today, DotLoop CEO Austin Allison gave a keynote speech at the REtechSouth Conference in Atlanta on the same thing: how today's - and tomorrow's - home buyers are connected more than ever.

Still, a part of me questions whether all of this constant connection is ultimately a good thing, or if staring at a screen from cradle to grave will eventually turn us all into cyborgs. I did find one thing ironic, though: I read the article from the magazine in front of my computer, where the same article was posted. I guess there's still hope after all for not becoming completely sucked into the digital void.

What do you think - are we introducing kids to technology too soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment