Friday, June 25, 2010

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho

It takes me twenty to thirty minutes to get to work from my home, depending on traffic. That's about eighteen to twenty-seven minutes too long for me.

Like most of you, I hate commuting. So very, very much. I wasn't too surprised then, when I read a report this past spring that found commuting to be the one daily activity most injurious to happiness.

Seems about right.

It was refreshing, then, to hear HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan discuss this exact issue this week during The Atlantic's "Future of The City" Conference in Washington, D.C..

As reported by Infrastructurist, Donovan discussed how many of our pressing issues - obesity, foreign oil dependency, and air pollution, for example - all are symptoms of one problem: "the fundamental mismatch between where we live and where we work."

I am so glad that someone else can see how silly we all are for living our such a Metropolistic existence. Whenever I see a new office building being constructed, I think, "Why?" Most office jobs are done on a computer and most people have a computer at home. With such technology, getting into a car and driving thirty miles to work every day seems as anachronistic as sending an e-mail via carrier pigeon.

Of course, as real estate agents, commuting is a part of your every day lives; indeed, agents can spend more time driving to clients than working with them. Luckily, with DotLoop, you can save your gas and keep your car in park. You don't even have to waste money on ink.

Which, of course, is a good thing. After all, as Secretary Donovan said, the price of commuting has risen by about 1000% over the past few decades.

Why be stuck in traffic anymore than you have to?

No comments:

Post a Comment