Monday, June 21, 2010

Disguise Phone

Stuck waiting on someone the other day, I started fidgeting with my phone. I have a "dumb" phone; what the industry calls a "candy bar" phone. It's a bare-minimum, calling and texting machine.

It doesn't even have a camera.

What it does have, much to my surprise, is a pixelated pinball game. I spent a few minutes playing it while waiting for my friend to arrive.

I never knew I had this feature. Later this weekend, I unearthed more hidden features on my phone. I can easily convert Celsius to Fahrenheit with my Conversion Application (ooh! I have "Apps"!) and I have a budget manager. Who knew?

As it turns out, not many. It seems I'm not alone in discovering hidden gems on my phone. As the Wall Street Journal reports today, small businesses have a lot more choices today with their phone plans, but, just like trying to decide which of the 400 brands of toothpaste is right for you, the choices can be daunting.

With cell phones having more processing power than yesteryear's supercomputers, I'm not surprised that so many applications and hidden features can be tucked into such a small device. I wonder what else is lurking in my phone.

Maybe I have a camera on it after all.

How about you? What hidden features have you found on your phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment